Panter V. wrote:
[ ... ]
> I have a few questions:
>
> Can I use the amd64 version for this configuration?

Yes.

> If I use i386 does this mean performances will be visibly lower than
> using amd64?

No, if anything, most software will run faster in 32-bit mode.  YMMV.
If you have a really big database, MySQL might be happier in 64-bit mode.

But you'd need to obtain more than 4 GB of RAM for that to actually matter.
Speaking of which, if you're going to run GUI development tools and a database,
you should get more RAM.

Pick up 2 * 1GB sticks for $200 or so and be happy.

> Are the software and drivers I need 64 bit ready or will their 32 bit
> versions run at least as good as they would do on i386?

Many of the drivers are 64-bit ready, but I'm not so sure about how well USB is
doing these days.  You should figure out what you're doing in terms of printing
software and obtain printers which are known to work with
CUPS/ghostscript/FreeBSD, rather than hoping than any random printer will work.

Be warned that HP color InkJets are very expensive to maintain in terms of ink
and printheads.

> Which version do you recommend me to use i386 or amd64?

Probably i386 until you get more experience with FreeBSD, at which point you can
re-evaluate for yourself based on what you actually need.

> Thank you very much for your answers.

Sure.  PS:

> I want to use this computer as a development server and firewall.

These goals contradict.

If you can't set up two separate machines, try getting a broadband
router/firewall 4-port or 8-port jobby like a Linksys, which can double as a
8-port 10/100 switch if you don't need it for something more complex.

The one I've got (model # BEFS-8 something?) lets me do this OK:

11-sec# ping -s 1492 -f prime
PING prime.local (192.168.1.3): 1492 data bytes
.^C
--- prime.local ping statistics ---
138530 packets transmitted, 138529 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.589/0.600/1.557/0.021 ms
97.89s real  0.86s user  9.66s system  10%

It's not going to substitute for a smart HP Procurve or a 3com SuperStack in a
rack-oriented situation, but they'll do just fine for most other situations.
Heck, they'll do just fine in a rack, too, if needs must.

--
-Chuck