On Feb 16, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

On 2006-02-16 09:29, Joe Auty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Thanks everybody for their help.

As it turns out, I guess dump was being starved for memory, as
running it while booted into FreeBSD normally using -L to indicate a
live filesystem worked just fine. I believe this is because there is
an extra swap file available from a normal FreeBSD boot, as specified
in my /etc/rc.conf. I'm not sure if my theory completely holds up,
but there you have it.

Thanks again! I'm up and running...

That's very likely.  I usually start single user mode with something
like the following:

    # adjkerntz -i
    # swapon -a
    # fsck -p
    # mount -u /
    # mount -va

Having a swap partition enabled definitely helps to avoid ending up
without any free memory ;)

I was doing swapon -a too, but perhaps this command does not enable swap directories that have been attached to /etc/rc.conf?