Ronald F. Guilmette schrieb:

I know that I'm very late to the party, but I just recently bought and
installed my first ever DVD burner.

The burner is installed on a system that I have set up to dual boot
to either FreeBSD 5.2.1 (yea, I know, that's ancient) or else to
Windoze ME.

So anyway, yesterday I followed all of the instructions located at:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html

in order to create and install a fresh kernel that would have all of the
required stuff in it to be able to burn data DVDs.

I then burned my first ever data DVD... made from some data I had that I
wanted to make a backup of.

All went smoothly.  So far, so good.

The tricky part came when I then went to _mount_ my freshly burned DVD
onto FreeBSD.  (I wanted to do this just in order to verify that the
data had in fact successfully been burned onto the DVD.)

Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't fingure out how to just simply
mount the burned DVD onto the FreeBSD system.  I tried both:

    mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt

which yielded only the error message:

    cd9660: /dev/cd0: Device not configured

and I also tried:

    mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt

which yielded the error:

    cd9660: /dev/acd0: Input/output error

OK, so what am I doing wrong?
[...]

Maybe /var/log/messages gives you a hint what's happening.

Björn