> I've also been observing my system...even when mail load from these
> mini-attacks is heaviest, maybe 800 messages a second, the system load barly
> goes over idle.  There appeas to have been two such attacks.  It's a 2.8 ghz
> machine with 3 gigs of RAM, it should be well able to handle that load even
> for sustained periods of time.

Did you do some disk stress test? The hardware problem could be
somwhere else than the MB.

Or network if your anti-spam rely on some network check?

It would be nice that you set-up your system (how?) so that it does
not reboot in case of failure, so you'd have some information on the
screen.

Olivier