I'll try the portmanager in future, but for now I already took Andrew's advice and started reinstalling ports from the latest version of the ports collection. I reinstalled a lot of the ports I installed earlier from the old ports collection that came with FreBSD 6.0 Stable distrib. Things seemed to go well... until:

In the middle of the marathon build of gnome2 2.12, the machine (Compaq
Pentium III 933MHz with 256MB RAM) unpredictably locks up.  Happened
several times so far at different places in the build. Keyboard is dead. Switching console does not work. The hard disk keeps spinning and the power light is on but there is no sign of any other activity in the machine. Had to force a power
down and reboot.  I am running FreeBSD 6.0 Stable with X11+Gnome 2.10
and the older ports for 3 months now without any problems.  So presumably
the new ports installs have something to do with this new unstable behavior.
Anyone seen this before?

Chandan

Chris Whitehouse wrote: