On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On 2/23/06, Eric Schuele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Did some searching tonight, to see what was available as an OSS
alternative to VMWare, and came across QEMU ... what I'm interested in
doing is running a QEMU vServer that runs FreeBSD inside of it, and will
support having outside connections talking to it as a VPN "hub(?)" ...
basically, I don't want to have to futz at the Host OS level, only the
Client OS level, as far as networking is concerned ...

Good chance I can't help.... I'm just curious.

You want to have a VPN endpoint running in FreeBSD as a guest OS within
Qemu, on a FreeBSD host?  You want it in Qemu so you don't have to
modify the host's network setup and/or install the necessary software?

In any case, take a look here (if you haven't already):
   http://www.qemu.org/qemu-doc.html#SEC20
Might find something useful.

The Qemu site states "The QEMU VM behaves as if it was behind a firewall
which blocks all incoming connections."  So on first glance, its sounds
as if it might not be supported.  But I'd read over the docs in more
detail if I were you.

Qemu's default behaviour (-net user) is as a firewalled machine,
some futzing around and searching on google, and using tap(4),
along side ng_bridge(4), you can make it behave as a normal
network node (albeit one at 10baseTX), which should support
your needs in this one instance.

Wishful thinking, or does this make sense?  Has anyone done it?
Pointers to docs on this, if so?

qemu.dad-answers.com has a *BSD subsexion, from whence
I managed to get mine working:
http://tinyurl.com/pazdu
(assuming I cut and pasted okay this time)

Honestly, if you're going to run FreeBSD inside the VM, you might
look into chroot and jail, as I'm sure those would be faster.  I know
exactly nothing about networking in jails and/or chroot environments,
so qemu may be the thing.

To do OpenVPN (or some such) within a Jail involves a fair amount of work on the root server itself ... something I *may* eventually do, but was/am hoping that by using a more true virtualization environment may be simplier to implement ...

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664