Bill Moran wrote:
d/l the entire php documentation as individual html files.
This equates to a LOT of files in a single directory (how can
I get a count of this?)
Anyway, I'm trying to find the docs on some features that
the www.php.net's search isn't really helping on (searching
for __FILE__ doesn't search for __FILE__ ... it searches for
file, and there's too many results) so I try:
grep __FILE__ *.html
and I get the error:
-bash: /usr/bin/grep: Argument list too long
Is this a shortcoming of bash, grep or FreeBSD?  I'm assuming
it's not grep, as the command:
find . -name *.html -print | xargs grep __FILE__
yeilds:
-bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long
try grep "__FILE__" *.html.

to get a file coun, 'ls | wc' might work.
--
Paul Beard: seeking UNIX/internet engineering work
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/paulbeard.html>

Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea.