Around about Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:20:46 -0500 Garance A Drosihn commented:

At 6:27 PM +0000 2/28/06, Craig Ryhorchuk wrote:
Hello,

 I am looking for specific instructions on installing,
maintaining and using AFS with FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.  I want to set
up one or more servers and make them available to clients running
whatever O/S.  I think Arla has the client side covered if
necessary, but all I can find for server-side is a downloadable
instruction-free bundle for 6.0 on the OpenAFS site.  There are
specific instructions for other supported O/Ss but none for FreeBSD.
I have Googled and searched; not exhaustively I hope.  There has
to be something out there.

I think there are some people who run openafs servers on FreeBSD,
but probably just people who already know enough about running
OpenAFS servers that it is "obvious" (to them) what you would
need to do.

The problem is that the openafs client-side for FreeBSD never
gets quite to the point of working.  So, the number of openafs
users on freebsd never reaches critical mass to get some of the
less exciting work done -- such as OS-specific documentation...

Thanks for the info.  That's a bummer.  I thought this might be the
perfect solution to a business problem, but if this is the state of it, I
guess the idea is a non-starter.
*sigh* - I guess it's back to linux again.
I know.  I need to port it myself and not complain, but I claim to be
a sysadmin and not a kernel hacker.