I am having trouble installing a port/package because it wants to use Apache 1.3 whereas I am running Apache 2 on the server in question.

As far as I can tell, I should install by building the port rather than using the package because the package is obviously pre-compiled for Apache 1.3. Fair enough, but how can I build the port for apache 2 if there aren't any makefile options regarding apache? The port in question is php4-mysql.

Skim through /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.apache.mk and look at some of the variables... WITH_APACHE2, USE_APACHE, APACHE_PORT, etc...

I haven't done it with php4-mysql, but with php5-extensions setting some of the above did the trick (in my case I wanted www/apache13-modssl).

-philip