On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:57 am, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to use less paper by printing on both sides of each
> sheet.
>
> The printer is capable of duplex printing, but all the
> postcript I send to it ends up printed single-sided.
>
> The original PS is generated by a web-browser. I then try to
> use enscript's pstops utility, but can't figure out its
> page-specification language :-(

Cups and psutils have pstops but I can't see any in enscript.

Assuming you are talking about the version from psutils, then I
believe this just orders or select pages for printing. To the
best of me knowlege it is not capable of setting your printer
into duplex mode.

Duplex mode is usually controlled by some printer/manufacturer
specific job control wrapper around the postscript such as HP's
JPL. There may also be postscript commands which will switch to
duplex but these are also likely to be somewhat printer
specific.

Briefly a generic solution for postscript printers is unlikely.
But there are print systems that understand about specific
printers and insert the job control wrapper.

I believe the simplest way to achieve what you want is probably
to install the Cups print system.
Then something like:
% lp -o sides=two-sided-long-edge filename
should work.

> Would someone have a ready example:
>
>       pstops 'MagickSpell' input.ps duplex.ps

How is this mystical command line constructed?
Is duplex.ps some library file you obtained from somewhere?
If it contains PS commands to switch to duplex it would probably
need to appear ahead of your input.

Malcolm