Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
On 2006-03-08 11:15, Nathan Vidican <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I know there might be a better sendmail/related mailing list to send this
to, but figured I'd drop it here and give it a shot - sorry for the cross
post, but I subscribe to -questions so figured it'd be okay and beneficial
to other users too. Anyhow, on with the problem:

I have an entry like this in /etc/mail/aliases:

someolduserwhoquit:     550:"The user you have attempted to send mail to no \
                        longer exists on this system, please see\
                        http://www... for details or a new contact"

(not exact; in alias file it's all on one line with no \ )

alias works exactly as expected; when someone sends a message to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], it bounces their message back with the error
string I quoted. The problem then, becomes SPAM (lol - when is SPAM NOT a
problem eh?).

example:
- (faked) from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- sends a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- tries to bounce message back, in-turn getting message bounced back to
  our postmaster saying 'no valid user here for [EMAIL PROTECTED]'

So, to the question part... how can I setup an alias to either ignore the
bounce-back it gets, (ie to blindly send the bounce itself), or is it
possible to specify a different from address on our server's end so when/if
the other receiving server doesn't have a valid from address it just drops
the reply on our end, like so:

I prefer using a different error code that is not a "permanent error".

A "transient error" forces the SMTP relay of the spammers to keep the
message for some period in their queue and try again later.  There's no
need for you to keep the message in your own mail queue :)

True, but eventually it will fail from their queue as well and return the message - the key question there I guess then is if the message returns to us or to their postmaster then?

Also, any suggestions as to the 'proper' transient error code? A 451 will force a retry/wait condition will it not?

--
Nathan Vidican
[EMAIL PROTECTED]