On an updated 5.4 box I am using Network UPS Tools (NUT) with an APC
Smart-UPS.

All is going very well but I cannot bring my box back up after
simulating a power failure.  At the end of the shutdown the screen
shows:

"Press any key to reboot"

Obviously this is not the desired outcome.

How can I get my system to go down completely?  Beyond this I
understand there may be some BIOS adjustments to be made.

man shutdown...

     -p      The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware
             support required) at the specified time.

for starters... but yeah, you might need some BIOS changes...

I thought ACPI might have something to do with this.  The next time
around I booted with this disabled but this lead to another problem.
My network could not be initialized.  I got this message a few times
during startup and then the boot sequence continued with networking
disabled:

"sk0: watchdog timeout"

I rebooted again, this time with ACPI enabled, and all was well again.

--
Peter