I upgraded gnome on my 5.4 workstation (ran gnome-upgrade212.sh), and now the system locks up shortly after I login. If I don't login I can open a tty and do whatever I want from the cli, but if I login, the system locks up and I can't even open a tty (or restart X.) Mouse and keyboard inputs are ignored, and the only option is a hard reboot.

What can I do to troubleshoot this problem? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with gnome, since that's what's killing the system.

FreeBSD 5.4 SECURITY, X Window System Version 6.9.0, gnome2-2.12.3.

:0.log has the following error in it: "error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/server/SecurityPolicy", and that file does not exist on the hard drive.

There's nothing out of the ordinary in /var/log/messages or /var/log/dmesg.today (that I can see.)

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member