On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Norberto Meijome wrote:

What about DELL laptops? any model I should stick to? Thinkpads are a
bit pricey for me atm. (Greg Lehey i think was using dells... could
well be wrong...)

Alternatively, has anyone got a model of *new* Toshiba laptops
fully working ?

I'm a huge Toshiba fan, and a HUGE fan of the touchpoint/accupoint devices. As of yesterday I replaced my Satellite Pro 6000 with a new M5-S433. Speaking for -current, not -stable, it boots fine, detects the gig ethernet with the em driver, serial port, usb, touchpad (bleh!), etc work fine. The ATA driver is identified as a "GENERIC ATA controller" and the drive is listed as UDMA33, which is either incorrect (the drive is SATA, I've removed it) or it's just using a SATA-PATA bridge internally. X11 starts up with the nv driver just fine, right now it's humming away beside me installing KDE. The only things that do not work are the builtin wireless, which should have a driver soon, and the sound, which I hope will also have some support soon!

I have had a couple of quirks -- several times it has booted up but the ATA driver never saw the HD, but a reboot later it was finding it just fine. I also had trouble getting it to attach to an atheros card I was inserting, but I think that was related to the BIOS setting for device resource allocation rather than a kernel problem. Once i've had it a little longer I'll drop in on the -multimedia list and see if I can spur a little work on the sound. Everything else seems in order.