-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of John Murphy
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:28 AM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Using 'incorrect' HD geometry.

Thanks Lila, your success encouraged me to try and you were quite
right
that "your win partition is pretty safe with freebsd fdisk."

Unfortunately the install failed saying:

Write failure on transfer! (wrote 77187 bytes of 1425408 bytes)

And loads of errors like the following were shown on the Alt F2
screen:

/stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum error
/stand/cpio: warning: skipped 723757 bytes of junk
/stand/cpio: : No such file or directory
/stand/cpio: invalid header: checksum error
/stand/cpio: warning: skipped 4096 bytes of junk
/stand/cpio: : No such file or directory
[...]
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03 error=0

I tried leaving the partitions (within the ad0s2 slice) as they were
first.  Then I tried 'Auto defaults for all' and lastly some
partition
sizes of my own.  I even tried installing 5.3 which only managed to
write -1 bytes.  Which is odd because it must have worked before.

Presumably I would need to change the drive geometry in fdisk to the
figures which the BIOS indicates.  Any one know the implications of
doing so for the non bsd slices?

Thanks again.

--
John.