Jonah Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi, I would appreciate it if someone could explain why buildworld must
> rebuild _everything_, even if there is one small change(or no changes).
> For example, if I do the initial buildworld, then cvsup and see that code for
> /bin/ls has changed, then buildworld again, it recompiles everything.
> Shouldn't buildworld only recompile /bin/ls?
> Even if *nothing* changes, and I were to just run make buildworld two times
> consecutively, it still recompiles everything.  Could someone explain why
> this is the behavior instead of just compiling what has changed?

The reason is that there's a kind of dependency involved that make(1)
isn't good at handling.  When the compiler toolchain changes, make won't
notice, so it always rebuilds the tools first and then rebuilds the
world with the new tools.  If you don't want it to do that, you can use
the fact that your brain is smarter than make, and rebuild just the part
you want (or use NOCLEAN, or other options) for that one shot.