I had some problems with cdrecord making audio CDs and some helpful person on this
list suggested I use cdrdao(1) instead. Well, that turned out to be the solution. I
did try using ATAPICAM with an IDE burner I had on hand, but it doesn't seem to be
able to write (good thing it didn't cost anything, though perhaps I see why).

The biggest problem I had with cdrdao was the need for a TOC file and the correct
syntax. Turns out there are some samples in the distribution's source files. They
don't work for me (you can't specify a driver as I need to do, just a device, and the
device is expressed in a linux-ish style), but it's often easier to work from
something that's broken that to start from scratch.

It's basic as can be, but it saves me from trying to remember this stuff, and isn't
that what scripts are all about?

[/usr/home/paul/bin]:: more wav2toc.sh
#!/bin/sh
# usage: $0  FILES <*.wav>

DIR=$1
TOCFILE=`basename $1`.toc

echo CD_DA >  ${TOCFILE}
echo >>  ${TOCFILE}
for i in ${DIR}/*.wav
         do echo TRACK AUDIO >> ${TOCFILE}
         echo PREGAP 0:1:0 >> ${TOCFILE}
         echo FILE \"$i\" 0  >> ${TOCFILE}
         echo  >> ${TOCFILE}
done
echo File ${TOCFILE} written

Running with a path grabs all the WAV files, creates a file based on the basename of
the path, then writes out all the particulars.

([EMAIL PROTECTED])-(09:18 PM / Thu Dec 26)
[/usr/home/paul/bin]:: ./wav2toc.sh ~/cdimages/That_Summer
File That_Summer.toc written
([EMAIL PROTECTED])-(09:20 PM / Thu Dec 26)
[/usr/home/paul/bin]:: more That_Summer.toc
CD_DA

TRACK AUDIO
PREGAP 0:1:0
FILE "/usr/home/paul/cdimages/That_Summer/new.wav" 0

TRACK AUDIO
PREGAP 0:1:0
FILE "/usr/home/paul/cdimages/That_Summer/side_1.wav" 0

TRACK AUDIO
PREGAP 0:1:0
FILE "/usr/home/paul/cdimages/That_Summer/side_2.wav" 0

Dunno if it will be useful to anyone (like anyone else is converting vinyl LPs to CDs)
. . . .

and the incantation for cdrdao is as follows: I need to specify a driver for this unit
(it's branded as a Pinnacle CDR 5040S and is allegedly supported by cdrecord as a
workalike for a similar unit).

sudo cdrdao write --eject --device 0,1,0 --driver teac-cdr55 toc

--
Paul Beard / 8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115 /
paulbeard [at] mac [ dot] com / 206 529 8400

weblog @ <http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>