Guys,

        perlmonks was helpful in explaining that "[[](\d+)[]]" is
        what is required to match [NN].   So that will catch the
        footnote numbers.  I had thought that I would have to do the
        <A NAME="NN"> NN xyz </A> anchor by hand.   Maybe not, if
        somebody can clue me in on the perl regex for matching

        "NN plus any/every character following until \n"

        I can't find my regex book, and am not exactly clear if this
        will work, but if I go back over my files and insert braces
        around each note (at the page bottom) like:

        {14, DEWEY AND TUFTS, *Ethics*, pp 345-7, &sect; 4 }

        would this:

        s/{(\d+)}(.+)/

        capture the "14" plus  the rest on the bracketed line?  The
        HTML would be (methinks):

        <A NAME="14">14, DEWEY AND TUFTS, *Ethics*, pp 345-7, &sect; 4 </A>

        with the $1 capturing the 14 and $2 capturing the rest?

        The entire s//g expr would be::

        If this is right, I'll be very pleased with myself; else I'm
        hoping that somebody can clue me in.

        gary

--
   Gary Kline     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org     Public service Unix