Eric Schultz wrote:
Kris Kennaway wrote:
On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:11:48AM -0800, Chris Maness wrote:
I administer this box by remote.

Look into setting up a serial console; this is the "remote single user
mode" you're looking for.

Good morning...

How remote is "remote"?

If it's just down the hall you can probably get a DB25/DB9 (depending on the machine) to RJ45 adapter and use existing CAT5 cable to get to a serial console to your desk. There even exist serial RJ45 switch boxes if you have several machines to "remote" administer.

If it's farther than that, like in another building/city/etc. you can always setup a modem on the box's serial port and dial in to that. You'll need a modem at your end too, which means either an analog line or a analog-to-digital tap for your office phone.

I have no idea whether there any serial-over-IP solutions. But you could build one with FreeBSD!!!

I have a slave name server at the same location. Maybe I can run a serial cable with a crosover between the two of them.