i mount with the script because when i tried it with fstab, it would only mount read only. even when i specified rw in the options. i tried everything i could think of to get write access to it and doing the script like this was the only thing that worked. and admin is no problem. this is a single little winblows box on a home network. its purpose in life is to store these files and run quickbooks thru terminal sessions. thats it. im waiting patiently for the wine crew to get quickbooks running.

Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
Steel City Phantom wrote:

  im using bsd 6.  i write a script that fires on startup and shutdown
  that mounts the drives.  i mount several, but here is one of the mount
  commands
  mount_smbfs -f 0777 -d 0777 //[EMAIL PROTECTED]/MP3
  /usr/local/drive_h/MP3
  it seems like anything that accesses a file in that share will create
  the error.
  Lowell Gilbert wrote:
FYI, you don't need to write a script. I would guess that 6.0 is the same as 5.4 in this respect. You can set a variable in rc.conf

extra_netfs_types="smbfs:SAMBA"

and then put any password info in /etc/nsmb.conf (read-only root!).

Then put an entry in /etc/fstab like:

//[EMAIL PROTECTED]/MP3 /usr/local/drive_h/MP3 smbfs rw 0 0

If /usr/local/drive_h/MP3 is mode 777 then you don't need -f or -d

Connecting as administrator seems like a bad idea to me.

I have no idea what causes your error. What does a mount which works look like, and how does anything on Windows differ between a mount that works and one that doesn't?

--Alex