Robert Huff wrote:
        1) You need a working Java to build a working Java.

Just curious, does that mean after the first time you install Java subsequent re-installs or upgrades can use the /native/ port that was first installed using the Linux package?

        2) Due to restrictions from Sun, there is no FreeBSD native JDK
_package_.

Write Once, Run Anywhere!  Except...

What's the GCJ story? How do they get away with it? Way off-topic though, and more than my brain could probably cope with right now. Never mind.

        3) So, to build the 1.4 (or 1.5) _port_, we install the Linux
1.4 package and use it to compile the code.  Once the native port
has built successfully, you can delete the Linux port.

That just doesn't sound right, at a meta-physical level.

--
Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...

  Eric Schultz
  (aka Storkman)

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/schultznet
Homepage: http://www.schultznet.ca