Oliver Iberien wrote:

I can start privoxy manually with
/usr/local/sbin/privoxy /usr/local/etc/privoxy/config

I added this to /etc/rc.conf:
privoxy_enable="YES"
privoxy_flags="/usr/local/etc/privoxy/config"

but that does not seem to do it. I tried putting a link in /etc/rc.d/ to the privoxy.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, but that didn't do it, either. How do I get it to start?

When I installed privoxy from ports a shell script was placed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, which does the job. Mine is mode 555. I'll e-mail you a copy if you want. I wouldn't link from /etc/rc.d -- bad mojo.

I put the following two variables in /etc/rc.conf, and privoxy finds it's configuration files in the directory /usr/local/etc/privoxy/ without any help. There is more than one configuration file, and they are substantially self documenting.

  privoxy_enable="YES"
  privoxy_flags="-- user privoxy"