Hi Mark:
You recently wrote:

"Users are encouraged to create single-purpose users with ssh keys
and very narrowly defined sudo privileges instead of using root
for automated tasks."

Does this mean that there is a way to run ssh, but only allow certain users to use it.
My default seems to have been that if someone has a username and password they can access
ssh (except root as "PermitRootLogin no" is the default).   The ssh port seems
to be the most heavily attacked one on my machine and so I recently took to blocking port
22.   My preference would be to enable it to only one user and give them an obscure
username and strong password.  Root is not currently allowed access by default in the
setup.

Is this the approach that you alluded to above?   Can you point me to some
information or provide some tips.
Thanks,  Graham/

--

Kindness can be infectious - try it.