On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 04:40:02PM -0500, Steven Lake wrote:
>         I'm thinking it was ld or something that I used.  It gave the
> dependency for a given program, then listed either the path to the file or
> said it was "not found".  That's mostly what I'm looking at.  I'm trying to
> figure out which dependencies are missing for a given program so I can
> figure out what I need to do to fix it.

It sounds like what you are thinking of is the ldd(1) command, which lists
which dynamically linked libraries a program is linked against, and gives
the path to the shared library if ldd can find it.

This is something quite different than the dependencies ports/packages can
have between each other.

> At 04:39 PM 3/26/2006 -0500, Chris Hill wrote:
> >On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Steven Lake wrote:
> >
> >>       Hmm, definitely useful, but not quite what I'm looking for.
> >
> >What precisely *are* you looking for? A little detail would go a long way
> >here. That is: what is it that won't run? Why do you think it's a
> >dependency issue? What have you already tried?
> >
> >Rereading your original post, it looks like you want to know not only what
> >the dependencies are, but also which ones are not installed. Correct?
> >Assuming yes, then you could do something like this (using my previous
> >firefox example):
> >$ pkg_info -Rr firefox-1.5.0.1_1,1
> >Information for firefox-1.5.0.1_1,1:
> >
> >Depends on:
> >Dependency: pkgconfig-0.20
> >Dependency: expat-2.0.0_1
> >[blah blah]
> >
> >...then do a pkg_info on each item listed, e.g.
> >$ pkg_info pkgconfig-0.20
> >...and so on for each listed dependency. For each one, you will either get
> >a rash of information (meaning the package is installed) or "pkg_info:
> >can't find package 'foobar' installed or in a file!" (meaning the package
> >is not installed). There is probably a more automated, less tedious way to
> >do this, but I'm drawing a blank right now.
> >
> >Then again, it may be an entirely different issue - it could be a matter
> >of packages being confused about what their dependencies really are. You
> >may see this when trying to update. This can be fixed using cvsup, pkgdb,
> >portsdb and friends. See the many recent threads about updating ports
> >and/or packages.

> >--
> >Chris Hill               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]