Benjamin Lutz wrote:

On Saturday 25 March 2006 16:26, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
Installer, yes.  "good system for installing programs" ... some would
differ.  Ease of use isn't the only thing that FreeBSD ports offers,
and I'm not sure that PCBSD has that figured out; obviously, that's
open for discussion.  Seems to me, and some others, that PCBSD's
implementation of 3rd party software may get its users in the same
sort of "libc hell" that many Linux users find themselves in someplace
down the road.

I tried PC-BSD a couple of weeks ago. What they seem to do is include all the necessary libs with a program, and install each program into a dedicated library. So while there is bloat, a library hell there shouldn't be.

Cheers
Benjamin

I appreciate that comment; do we dare discuss it further?  (And,
it will take a more knowledgeable "guru" than me to do so, probably).

What happens if there is an API/ABI change of the type that occurs
once in a FBSD full moon ... 'please recompile all ports', or at least,
'all ports dependent on /usr/ports/foo/bar'?

I suppose from an end-user standpoint, it's no worse than taking
your (MSFT) computer to the shop and them "flattening" it, and
you have to reinstall and restore a backup.  But from my perspective,
(and I've got to admit not giving it a whole lot of thought just yet)
this could be "off-putting" to users, to say the least, and how will
PCBSD handle this (reinstallation requirement).  In leaving the
"traditional" FBSD system, what's taking its place for upgrading/
updating, etc.?

If you've got a good case, you might want to take it over to
##freebsd at freenode --- seems PCBSD gets badmouthed a
little over there at times.

And, I'm in danger of going way OT; if we need to continue, we
should probably go chat@ ....

KDK

--
If I'm over the hill, why is it I don't recall ever being on top?
                -- Jerry Muscha