-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: package vs ports question
Date:   Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:57:04 -0300
From:   Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     Duane Whitty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

And I also have a question regarding this matter. :)

When I installed FreeBSD (6.1-BETA4, though I don't think version
makes any difference here), I chose "User" in one of initial screens
(I can't remember which one that was now, sorry). That pre-selected a
handfull of software to be installed. I have always used ports since
FreeBSD was installed. But...

Does the installation process install any package that may be
overriden by any port?

On 3/27/06, Duane Whitty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Huy Ton That wrote:
> I am curious, the key different between packages and ports are that
packages
> are precompiled and ports are not?  Am I erroneous in this statement?  I'm
> little confused as I have been always using make install clean from the
> ports and don't see the difference...  Has anyone else had the same
> question?
>
> -Lee

Hi,

Your best bet is to read the handbook section
on packages and ports.  To answer your question
though, yes packages are pre-built and ports need
to be compiled, linked, etc from sources.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

--Duane

[]'s,
Luiz Eduardo