Joseph Vella wrote:

I notice a lot of references to version 4.x. Is there any overwhelming reason why its use seems to be still popular. I'm wanting to set up a server (just for play) on my home network using a PII machine. Am I better off using an older version for such old equipment? If so, do any particular versions stand out?

I would certainly recommend going with 6.x. The reason that many of our servers still run 4.x is that 5.x got a bad reputation and there really is no upgrade path from 4.x to 6.x. 5 and 6 default to using UFS2 and 4 uses UFS so, IMHO it's better to rebuild and taking a few hundred users offline for a couple of hours whilst this happens isn't fun.

That's my scenario...I'm sure others have totally different reasons.

-Tom