Olivier Nicole wrote:
  devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Inappropriate ioctl for device
  devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Inappropriate ioctl for device
  devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I can only assume that it has something to do with the files in /var/named/dev/ that I have untarred there. I tried doing a "make

What I can see from my environment (4.11), you only need
/var/named/dev/null, copy it from /dev/null

Olivier