Darryl Hoar wrote:
Greetings,
I have a Freebsd 6.0-Release system that I just
installed.  I have installed Apache 1.3.33 from the
ports system.

I can see the index.html file when I point my browser
to the server.  What I can't do is :

browse to : http://server/cgi-bin/cscripts/myscript.cgi

I get a 404 Not found.
The requested URL /cgi-bin/myscript.cgi was not found
on this server.

The file myscript.cgi is located in the /usr/local/www/cgi-bin
directory.  I verified this.

I have added:
<Directory "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/cscripts">
deny from all
Options ExecCGI
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Order deny,allow
</Directory>

to the http.conf file.
I did /usr/local/sbin/apachectl stop
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start.

of course /usr/local/sbin/apachectl configtest says the config file is OK.

What am I missing here ?

well, is your script really in www/cgi-bin/ or is it really in www/cgi-bin/cscripts/ ?

Your config and testing examples are not consistent as written above. That may just be transcription error due to writing email in a state of puzzlement/frustration, but if not, that inconsistency is clearly part of the problem.

Also, you may have reasons for trying to do things this way, but it is really not necessary to give any special httpd.conf directives (e.g. ExecCGI) for subdirectories of cgi-bin, which is already configured as a ScriptAlias by default. Everything under it is considered to be executable if file system permissions are correct and Apache's access controls allow entry. The configtest only tells you that your config file is syntactically valid, not that it's the right thing to do.

One would normally only need to add the ExecCGI option to a special directory in your normal document space (storage areas not already designated as ScriptAlias content), but not to children of cgi-bin. Just make your script files executable by permissions (755) and let the default config handle it.

In short, your config seems rather odd to me, but I'm no expert beyond the simplest CGI needs and as I said, maybe you have reasons for added complexity. If not, don't add complexity where not needed.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348