Hi Erik - thank you again.   I will explore.
Cheers,  Graham/

Erik Norgaard wrote:

Graham North wrote:

mtree eh? I had to man that one... and I will obviously have to read it again - properly. Any chance of asking for a bit of perspective on the command from you? If not, no big deal I will do a bit some background reading.

you do something like this to rebuild the directory structure of /usr/local:

  mtree -U -f /etc/mtree/bsd.local.dist -p /usr

Two things to note: I'm on 6.0, you may have a different -f argument. I don't if the -p argument should be /usr/local, I don't think so. Anyway, you can test and see what happens using -p /tmp that should create something in /tmp that you can then just delete.

I know on 6.x that mtree is run on 'make installworld' to update the directory base tree, but I'm not sure if it is run for /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 since these are not part of base. For 4.x I don't remember.

Cheers, Erik

--
Kindness can be infectious - try it.

Graham North