On Thursday 30 March 2006 09:48, Jim Stapleton wrote:
> Sorry if some of these aren't all exactly appropriate for here, but
> this seems like the best place to ask for a number of them,
> especially given my system is FreeBSD, and I've gotten everything
> from ports. I'm putting all of this in one email as just a
> not-so-quick, quick overview, and to ask if I should do everything in
> one email, or should I split it into several emails?

        < snip >
>  Regardless, my monitor (Samsung 712N) likes 1280x1024, Xorg refuses
> to run at anything but 1280x960 (which isn't even in my
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file). I expect in answering this my xorg.conf and
> my Xorg.0.log file will be desired quantities, but this is just an
> overview mail, and I don't want to waste space until I know this
> group is right for this question, or you are going to ship me off to
> one of the xorg lists (which I can't seem to find on their site).
> I'm using the "dri" driver module. Also, on an athlon64, and a 64 bit
> installtion, what's the best way to get the drm module working?
> ports/graphics/drm-kmod wants an i386 compile (and while I'll be
> setting up a i386 cross compiler for open office, I seriously doubt a
> 386 kernel module will be happy in a 64 bit kernel).
>

> Thank you for your time,
> -Jim Stapleton

I can help you with the monitor part. I have a Samsung 712N that runs at
1280x1024.

Towards the end of xorg.conf there is a section that looks something
like this:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Card0"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection      "Display"
                Viewport        0 0
                Depth           24
                Modes   "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection

That's what's in mine, and thats what gets the 1280x1024 display.

You're also going to have to look for something that looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize            340     270             # mm
        Identifier      "Monitor0"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
        VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
#       Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

I think using 'Xorg -configure' will generate a pretty good xorg.conf
file (actually xorg.conf.new) that you can look at, make changes to,
and test with 'Xorg -configure xorg.conf.new', you'll have to use
^Backspace to get out of it, but you'll find out if you've get things
set right and if the mouse is working.

Don