Lars Cleary wrote:
Micah wrote:

I just updated my ports collection this morning and upgraded all out of date ports, including thunderbird and firefox. Now typing thunderbird or firefox on the command line does absolutely nothing. firefox or thunderbird do not show up in ps (checked using ps -auwx | grep firefox). No error messages are displayed. The only clue is that the return code is 1.

Sample session:
trisha% firefox
trisha% echo $?
1
trisha%

The only thing in /usr/ports/UPDATING on firefox is from 2004.

I upgraded my ports by using the script generated by "portversion -c", which uses portupgrade and just lists the names of the ports on the line (eg portupgrade firefox thunderbird otherstuff). This is on a 6.0-RELEASE-p6 system.

uname -a
FreeBSD trisha.eidolonworld 6.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 #0: Thu Mar 23 19:38:49 PST 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TRISHA i386

Any clues on what's wrong?

Thanks,
Micah
Recently someone solved a problem with the same symptom by
changing the ownership of the profiles of Firefox and Thunderbird,
the were b0rked and couldnt' be read.

Maybe that helps.

Lars

Checking... All files in ~/.mozilla and its subs are owned by my user and my user's group and have rw (x for dirs) as a minimum for user (some have r and rw for group). Likewise for ~/.thunderbird. Using firefox -P test will bring up the profile manager and allow me to create a new profile, but the new profile is just as broken as the regular profile. Might be an extension.... I thought there was a way to bring up firefox/thunderbird in a "safemode" that disables all extensions, but a firefox --help shows no such flag.

Thanks,
Micah