On Mar 30, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Richard P. Koett wrote:

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
At 1:51 PM -0800 3/30/06, Richard P. Koett wrote:
Some quick questions:

1) Are these SiI3112 controllers any good?

They suck.
They are horrible.
They are very cheap to buy -- and are overpriced after
you add in all the aggravation they provide.

Don't waste your time on them.  Buy a real SATA
controller.  (disclaimer: I am only commenting on
their SATA controllers)

I have the option of using a HighPoint HPT372 instead
but was planning to use that elsewhere.

Unfortunately I don't know enough to comment on other
alternatives.  I dumped my SiI3112 SATA controller
and bought a real controller as made by Promise, but
there are probably a number of other good options.

Well, the HPT controller is not what I'd call *real* RAID
either but it's lying around so I'll give it a try.

If you want a somewhat reasonably priced "real" raid controller, the LSI MegaRaid SATA-4 150 (or some name like that) is around $225 or so and works pretty well

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider