On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:46:03 -0700 (MST)
"M. Warner Losh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : Are you using cups? Or something else? If you have your printer
> working : under cups, then I would think that gimp would print to it.
>
> I have cups running.  I'd have thought that too, so I'm doing
> something insanely stupid.  I can print to my other HP printer, but it
> understands .ps natively.  If the answer to printing from gimp is
> 'just print a .ps' then I'm happy.

Hi all,
I have gimp and cups running on my box. From gimp, all I need to do is
go to the option and select the (cups based) printer I want and off it
goes. I actually did this yesterday with no problem.
Photo quality printing and all that I havent been able to test/use yet, but I
should in the near future. The comments about the
right driver and using any of the several options in Gimp's print
dialog would seem spot on

FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #0:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [Sat Apr  1 08:53:56 2006]
~
$ pkg_info | grep cup
cups-1.1.23.0_1     The Common UNIX Printing System: Metaport to
install comple cups-base-1.1.23.0_8 The Common UNIX Printing System:
headers, libs, & daemons cups-lpr-1.1.23.0_1 The CUPS BSD and system V
compatibility binaries (lp* comma cups-pdf-1.7.4      A virtual printer
for CUPS to produce PDF files cups-pstoraster-8.15 Postscript
interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS printers cups-samba-5.0.r3
The Common UNIX Printing System:  MS Windows client drivers
libgnomecups-0.2.2_1,1 Support library for gnome cups admistration

$ pkg_info | grep gimp
gimp-2.2.10_1,1     A GNU Image Manipulation Program
gimp-print-4.2.7_2  GIMP Print Printer Driver

When installing Cups, I remember seeing some instructions relating to
being able to print from GIMP... ah
yes, /usr/ports/print/cups-base/pkg-message:
[....]
PLEASE NOTE: ============

To enable printing under Gimp do the following:
1) Uncomment application/octet-stream line in mime.types
2) Uncomment application/octet-stream line in mime.convs
3) Restart cupsd
[....]

I don't particularly remember doing this...

if everything in your system matches this, let me know what other info you want
and I'm happy to share it.

good luck,
Beto