"fbsd_user" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> Let me see if I understand you correctly.
> 
> Your saying that dhcp client has no built in way to
> communicate to dhcpd the dns ip address it receives
> at boot time or during the normal lease update process?

Yes.

> That your suggesting the work around is to customize the
> dhclient-script code at the point where it determines the
> /etc/resolv.conf file gets deleted and re-written with the
> new dns ip address info, by adding code to parse into
> the dhcpd.conf file replacing the option line for
> dns ip addresses with the new ip address?

That was his suggestion, as I understood it.

> Well I looked at that script code and it's way above my
> ability to write script code at that level.

Good opportunity to learn some, if you've got a little time.

> The other suggestion of adding my own LAN DNS server
> is over kill because my LAN just has 2 pc's on it and
> the only purpose of the LAN is to share a single
> dynamic IP address from my ISP.

If you say so.  I don't find a cachine nameserver to _ever_ be
overkill.  In fact, I run one on my laptop _just_ for the laptop.
I do this because I've learned that I can never trust other folks
DNS to be reliable, and I never know who the laptop will be connected
to.  Personally, I recommend this route because it's not that difficult
and provices other advantages as well (speed being the one I noticed).

> There must be a lot of other people in the same boat as I
> am who have all ready customized the dhclient-script or
> more properly the /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks file to
> edit the dhcpd.conf file with the correct DNS ip address.
> 
> Do you know of any web sites that contain dhcp scripts?

No, but I think you're right that there are liable to be examples
out there.  Have you googled?

BTW: please don't top post.

> Kris Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> 
> > I think the answer you are looking for lies in
> > dhclient-script. I noticed it futzes with resolv.conf.
> > If you happen to notice resolv.conf changing (You can
> > test this about by making a backup of resolv.conf,
> > erasing its contents and then rebooting the machine,
> > just for the sake of everything running properly and
> > seeing if the contents of resolv.conf get repopulated
> > with your ISPs DNS settings) then you can create a
> > script to grab the elements needed from the ISP and
> > drop them in to a file for dhcpd to read and then
> > SIGTERM dhcpd and restart it.
> 
> Basically, "have dhclient-script rewrite the dhcpd.conf".
> 
> Running your own nameserver and pointing the internal DHCP clients
> to
> it is another option, but slightly less resistant to failures.
> Doing
> both will get you the best of both worlds.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
> 
> This message scanned by the Collaborative Fusion, Inc. PineApp.
> 


-- 
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies
http://www.potentialtech.com
_______________________________________________
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Reply via email to