I didn't catch the complete thread, but perhaps I can help a little bit.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, M. Warner Losh wrote:

: > : > Thanks for the tips.  I have these ports installed, but am
: > : > tripping over something stupidly basic: what converts the
: > : > pict0001.jpg into something that can be fed to the hpijs driver
: > : > that will print?
: > : >
: > : > Warner
: Are you using cups? Or something else? If you have your printer working
: under cups, then I would think that gimp would print to it.

I have cups running.  I'd have thought that too, so I'm doing
something insanely stupid.  I can print to my other HP printer, but it
understands .ps natively.  If the answer to printing from gimp is
'just print a .ps' then I'm happy.
Once you have setup cups correctly you can simply type
        # lpr your_image.jpg
and it will be printed out.

I can print test pages with the CUPS interface w/o a problem.  I'll
try directly printing a simple color PS document next.  I just
realized that I haven't tried to do that yet.
There might be a very simple reason for your problems:
Cups' lpr program lives in /usr/local/bin/lpr and thus will be shadowed by FreeBSD's native /usr/bin/lpr .
Try something like
        # /usr/local/bin/lpr your_image.jpg
If that works we will have to set some links and everything will be fine.

Regards,

Uli.