>Hi going by the docs for virtual users i have got to this file vsftpd.pam
>>
>> auth required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login
>> account required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login
>>
>> From google i gather pam_userdb.so isn't part of OpenPAM which is
>> what FreeBSD uses. So how do Freebsd users get round it or am i
>> missing some thing really silly.

In my understanding this is correct. There's no pam_userdb.so available for
FreeBSD.
You could use pam_pwdfile.so, which is in the ports-collection. Users are
added/changed e.g. through htpasswd. Works well if you have not a lot of
accounts.

a simple vsftpd.pam could look like this:
auth required /usr/local/lib/pam_pwdfile.so pwdfile /etc/vsftpd_login
account      required    /usr/lib/pam_permit.so

Just to let you know that worked a treat

Thanks