On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:47:35 +0400
Playnet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Norberto,
>
> Monday, April 3, 2006, 7:11:24 PM, you wrote:
>
> NM> I have a laptop with a 100GB Hitachi SATA drive. the SMART log
> NM> shows the errors below (via 'sudo smartctl -a /dev/ad0' ). How
> NM> badly damaged is the disk?
> Do not remap disk, if you can change this disk. Try replace by
> warranty.
> If not, you need low-level format (with Hitachi tool) and check cables
> and controller.

wasn't the controller, as it the spin-up issues were happening on a USB
dongle. same for cables (well, it's a laptop, so not sure how i'd
change them anyway )

> OR you need full backup and monitoring SMART two weeks every day.
> IDNF is a hard-bad what you can remap with Hitachi tool.
> http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/dft32_v406_b00.iso

Thanks for the info :) IBM (AU) has issued an DOA on this laptop, so
they agree on your/mine assesment (once I read them the SMART info over
the phone they must have figured out it was cheaper to get a DOA than
keep paying someone to listen to all that ;) )

thx :)