At 09:49 AM 4/6/2006, you wrote:
Don't use FreeBSD. I know this will be an unpopular post on this list, but you've said a number of things that tell me that you will be unsuccessful with FreeBSD:

Unpopular, perhaps. But good advice. If you're looking for a nearly effortless desktop unix, you might try Mepis Linux http://www.mepis.org/ It's designed to be what you seem to be looking for (a turn-key graphic desktop OS.) Runs or loads directly from CD; comes with browser, email, printing, OpenOffice, etc.

   -Wayne