I have had trouble in the past with point releases caused by two different sources: Once source is an out of date /etc/make.conf, so compare yours with the new one with the new source tree in:
/usr/src/share/examples/etc/make.conf

The other problem I have had is with some cvsup mirrors. You may want to try a different mirror to pull the 5.4 source from.

        -Derek