At 09:03 AM 12.29.2002 -0800, Adam Weinberger wrote:

>>> (12.29.2002 @ 0812 PST): dick hoogendijk said, in 0.5K: <<
>> It need not be state-of-the-art, but a good .procmailrc-file that
>> filters a lot of spam would come in very handy.
>>
>> Does any of you have such a file and would you be willing to share it
>> with me (us?).
>>> end of "procmail and anti-spam" from dick hoogendijk <<
>
>This is what's in mine:
>
>:0fw
>| /usr/local/bin/spamassassin
>:0
>bullshit/
>
>Here's what it does: It passes the mail through spamassassin
>(/usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin), which will append a header named
>"X-Spam-Status" to the mail. If that header exists, the mail is directed
>into an appropriately named folder.
>
>I now get between 50 and 60 spam messages a day (just one of the perks
>of being a FreeBSD committer active on the mailing lists, I suppose),
>and spamassassin catches about 95% of them.
>
>To be honest, my procmail filter is a tad different. I have spamd
>running from /usr/local/etc/rc.d, and my spamassassin filter line is
>actually | /usr/local/bin/spamc. Same difference, though.
>
># Adam

Adam: I use Sendmail-8.12.6 with spamassassin & my question of you is about
your spamassassin setup. I just installed SA + Spamass-Milter and they
seemed to be working fine, except for this I keep seeing in the maillog (I
posted this on the SpamassTalk list, but no response):

Dec 29 11:14:49 sage-american spamd[72550]: info: setuid to root succeeded
Dec 29 11:14:49 sage-american spamd[72550]: Still running as root: user not
specified, not found, or set to root.  Fall back to nobody.

I load spamd from /usr/local/etc/rc.d also and it does NOT set the "root"
specifically as the user. If I added "-username root" switch to the spamd
startup, would the above messages stop...??? ...have you seen the above
message youself?

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator