As much as I agree with your sentiments, the issue that is at question is the replacement of existing config files with default ones ... at least in my instance, had those config files *not* been replaced, 'make install' (to upgrade an existing, configured installation), would have left me with a system that would have still worked as originally configured ...

Horde is/was designed to make upgrading it fairly simple, as it *explicitly* does not overwrite any config files, because it doesn't install any ... it installs .dist files, and the admin then has to move those into place ...

All the port needs to do beyond what it is doing ... and, quite frankly, it requires only one change to do so ... is to not do the:

mv <config file> <config file>.previous

The weird thing is that looking at the Makefile, I can't see where its doing the move to previous in the first place .. and, in fact, the following code should prevent it overwriting my existing config file:

.for FILE in ${CONFFILE}
        @if [ ! -f ${CONFDIR}/${FILE} ]; then \
          ${CP} ${CONFDIR}/${FILE}.dist ${CONFDIR}/${FILE} ; \
        fi
.endfor

Wow, okay ... Makefile says "don't overwrite existing config file", while files/pkg-install.in is the one that forces the issue:

Personally, the following patch would make doing an install safe:

diff -c files/pkg-install.in.orig files/pkg-install.in
*** files/pkg-install.in.orig   Sun Apr  9 07:56:56 2006
--- files/pkg-install.in        Sun Apr  9 07:57:24 2006
***************
*** 101,117 ****
              chown -R $hordeusr:$hordegrp $hordedir || exit 1
          fi

-         if [ -z "${PACKAGE_BUILDING}" ]; then
-             # Don't reset the config to default (PR ports/88621)
- - for cf in `ls %%HORDEDIR%%/config/*php`; do
-                 if [ -f $cf.previous ]; then
-                     mv $cf $cf.new
-                     echo "--->   $cf not installed ***"
-                     echo "--->       please copy from $cf.previous ***"
-                     echo "--->                or from $cf.new      ***"
-                 fi
-             done
-         fi
        ;;
  esac
--- 101,105 ----

If its an initial install, the Makefile copies in the initial config files as it is ... if its an upgrade, Makefile is smart enough to note overwrite existing files ... pkg-install.in shouldn't either ...

That is the *only* complaint that I have with the Horde ports ...