Gary Kline wrote:
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:52:05PM -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:
Gary Kline wrote:
        I've done some hacking the past few weeks on tools to aide
HTML stuff for books I'll soon put up, so I haven't quit programming altgether. Sooooo: what's the consensus on
        *us* andor the open-src community getting together and
        doing our own free version of this shock/flash stuff?
There are a few in ports. Though I was hoping (via this thread) to get opinions on which were good. Presently, I'm experimenting (unsuccessfully) with gnash.

        I'm read to volunteer.

What is gnash? (Or should I just poke around!)

Actually, after a bit more poking.... gnash seems to be all there is (someone please correct me). All the other projects appear to have a common source.... and many of those devs are moving to gnash?

gnash can be found at :
  http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
and there is a port:
  graphics/gnash

I've installed the port.... yet got nothing useful out of it yet. The project's goal AFAIK is to produce a firefox flash plugin. Supposedly the port and plugin do work (to some extent) on FreeBSD.... I'm just having no luck yet.

...I've seen the GNU shock/flash/<<whatever>> port and figured it was the only thing remotely resembling the flashwave stuff. --Um, I should say, straight away, that audio/vidio is not among my strengths. But point me at any ancillary or
        miscellaneous code and I either have it or can put it '
        together.  --My strenths are porting, testing, general
        systems analysis, and (very old) driver hacking.

        What are the other ports you know of that we could leverage
        off?

        thanks,

        gary

--