To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>; "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 5:37 AM
Subject: Re: unknown class root from sshd

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 12:03, Dave wrote:
Hello,
    I'm seeing this in my /var/log/messages from sshd on freebsd6. I'm
concerned that i'm being probed.

sshd(pid): login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
Has anyone seen this?

Class is the fifth field in /etc/master.passwd
It is a BSD thing and doesn't appear in /etc/passwd
read man 5 passwd

the first line of my /etc/master.passwd is:
root:password_here:0:0::0:0:Charlie &

In the default setup class is null, which means default
class. There is no root class(by default). Classes are
defined in /etc/login.conf

So, did you change the class field for root?

Thanks.
Dave.