Hi
I'm blushing over the quick solution to mysql problem.
I used the wrong script name to start mysql. It was a trivial
script I wrote because I didn't want to practice typing every
time I started mysql. I use the wrong name mysql start
instead of mysql-start;
Oddly, the shell didn't refuse to execute the script with the
error script name command not found, it threw
these errors as if it was actually trying to execute the script.
The server has started without complaint with the correct
script name.
Sorry to waste your time.
JK