--On April 15, 2006 12:58:02 PM +0200 Bram Kuijper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi all,

I got two KDE-related newby questions:

1. How do I restart a KDE session after I changed some config files? In
Linux this is

/etc/init.d/kdm restart

But since there is no init.d on FreeBSD, I'm stuck.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace restarts X and kdm. I haven't tried it, but I suppose you could run /usr/local/bin/startkde and see what happens. Or you could issue a command like this kill -HUP `cat /var/run/kdm.pid`.

2. Is there any way I can shutdown KDE and get back to a root shell? If I
choose 'log out' from KDE, I am still in the KDE environment and fixed to
choose another user to login again.

If all you need is a root shell, Ctrl-Alt-F1->F7 will get you all the root shells you'd ever need.

If you mean you want to kill the Xserver and not have it restart, kill -TERM `ps -auxw | grep X11R6/bin/X | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` should do the trick.

If I choose 'shutdown KDE', it issues a shutdown command to shutdown my
PC, and that's also not what I want. I just want to shutdown KDE and get
back into a root shell. Think it's an easy thing to configure, but where?

btw, I'm running KDE 3.5.1 on FreeBSD 6.0.

So am I.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas