Hi Folks,
I wrote, a couple months earlier, a problem with if_iwi on an IBM Thinkpad T43 (2687-D3U). The problem was actually the antenna. I set dev.iwi.0.antenna to 1 to turn the antenna on. Now despite the wifi indicator remaining off, the card is still able to scan and associate to access points (well, assuming you loaded the firmware :P). As soon as the card associates, the indicator will then switch on. To rid myself of the "unknown notification type 15," messages, I applied this patch: http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/forum/download.php?1,45/iwi-degraded.diff

Mentioned on Damien's forum here:
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/forum/read.php?f=1&i=786&t=752#reply_786

So, while the driver seems unable to turn the card on, its actually some quirk with the wifi indicator. Just remember to turn the antenna on!

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay
--- Begin Message ---
Hi all,
I've encountered a peculiar quirk in either this laptop or FreeBSD with IPW2915ABG. For some reason or another, either the Thinkpad turns the card on at bootup, or FreeBSD's if_iwi driver and acpi_ibm mistakenly think the card is turned on.

My loaded modules:
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
1   14 0xc0400000 4033b4   kernel
2    1 0xc0804000 5e28     snd_ich.ko
3    2 0xc080a000 20448    sound.ko
4    1 0xc082b000 3f44     acpi_ibm.ko
5   17 0xc082f000 6057c    acpi.ko
6    1 0xc0890000 41c4     wlan_tkip.ko
7    1 0xc0895000 6fe4     wlan_ccmp.ko
8    1 0xc1d7c000 18000    linux.ko

Notice that if_iwi is NOT loaded.

Let's have a look at dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan
dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1

Well thats odd, why would acpi think the wireless chip is turned on with no driver loaded?

Let's load if_iwi for kicks

iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG> mem 0xa8401000-0xa8401fff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci4
iwi0: Ethernet address: 00:13:ce:b7:ea:8

That works just fine it seems.
But then:

%iwicontrol iwi0 -r
Radio is ON

So, now that the driver is loaded, both if_iwi and acpi_ibm think the card is turned on, but there is no firmware loaded. Loading a firmware and then using either `ifconfig iwi0 up' or `dhclient iwi0' does absolutely nothing.

I've tried various things with the kernel and BIOS but with no luck.

here is my uname:
FreeBSD LIGHTBULB.LOCAL 6.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p4 #19: Mon Feb 20 15:06:16 EST 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LIGHTBULB i386

Keep in mind, this also happens on GENERIC.

So, is this a bug in FreeBSD or a quirk in the laptop? I've pondered whether to submit a PR but I'm not sure what exactly is going on here. Even disabling the card in the BIOS, acpi_ibm will still indicate that wlan is turned on. If anyone can clue me in here, please please do so. Until then I'm surfing with an atheros card :)

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay

--- End Message ---