On Apr 16, 2006, at 5:29 PM, Beech Rintoul wrote:

On Sunday 16 April 2006 16:01, jekillen wrote:
Hello folks;
I am trying to create a system user for a program to use.
I haven't found any specific instructions for doing this in the FreeBSD
manual
or Absolute FreeBSD.
The program exits with an error saying it can't create/write to a pid
file.
I believe it is the way I used adduser to create it and I don't know
what
I did wrong. I assigned it the class bin and disabled the password and
assigned none as the home dir.
To remove mystery it is MySQL I am trying to get running.
This is the error file entry:
starting server errors:
060417 17:38:49 [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: Can't
create/write to file '/usr/local/mysql/var/AMD64-939.<domain>.pid'
(Errcode: 13)
060417 17:38:49 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file:
Permission denied
060417 17:38:49  mysqld ended
My concern is 'permission denied' which means there seems to be something wrong with the mysql user I created. I have done this on another FreeBSD v6 installation and I didn't have the same problem. I don't know what I did differently. Yes I did install mysql my self. I have had nothing but problems with ports, ref a concurrent post where I tried to install an network interface card driver, nvnet and got a torrent of errors when trying to run make. I went to the FreeBSD web site and manually fetched the disfile and place it in the distfile directory. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with ports, it just means I'm not willing to spend the time to get it up to speed on my system. Anyhow, I just want to get MySQL running and then I'll deal with any other problems. But on my other FreeBSD machine i have had none so far and it has been happily running for some 6 or 7 weeks (accept for a power blackout event that I was able to recover from easily).
Thanks
JK

How did you install mysql? That path doesn't look like the default port
install. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that be
in /var/db/mysql? Anyway, user and group should be mysql - check your folder
permissions to make sure mysql can write there.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Mangohealth
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - XanGo - http://www.mangohealth.org