I upgraded to 6.1 RC-1 from 5.4, and when I su to root, it's not prompting for a password. I created a new account, and it does the same thing there. If the user is in the wheel group, it drops to the # prompt. If not, it echos the BAD SU attempt error message. I think it has something to do with PAM, but the documentation is not exactly written for those of us who don't have MS/Ph.D.'s in computer science. Does anyone know how to fix this? I thought I followed all the directions in /usr/src/UPDATING, but I must have done something wrong, probably while using mergemaster.

My apologies if this has already been asked, but the search function on lists.freebsd.org won't let me access other search result pages beyond the first, and google didn't help.

Many thanks,

James Riendeau
MMI Computer Support Technician
1300 University Ave