Bradford Fisher wrote:

Gathering information as I begin building my optimized make.conf, I
collected from my sysctl output that I'm running on an Intel Pentium(R)
4 2.53 GHz processor.  I was wondering what architecture would be best
applied to the CPUTYPE flag.

Thanks,
-Brad

CPUTYPE=pentium4
or
CPUTYPE=pentium4m
for a mobile chip

seems logical. however it depends on the type of pentium 4 you have. There is one chip with more bells and whistles (SSE3 I believe) that has a specific CPUTYPE associated with it you'd have to check out GCC's website and lookinto the -march option I know the optimized p4 has a different name from the general p4 variants, but its exact name escapes me as I only have the general run of the mill version.

brian